Licensing Procedure

Any motor carrier whose base jurisdiction is South Carolina and operates one or more qualified motor vehicles in at least one other International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) member jurisdiction, must apply for South Carolina IFTA credentials via our online application or fuel trip permits must be obtained to travel through member jurisdictions, according to the regulations of each member jurisdiction.

The application requests basic information about you. The application does not require vehicle descriptions. However, the SCDMV reserves the right to request the description of the vehicle before any application is processed. The description must be kept on file at the your business. There is no fee for the South Carolina International Fuel Tax Agreement license and decals. However, penalties and interest will be applied to all delinquent returns.

Incomplete applications will cause a delay in receiving your IFTA license and decals. Once MCS receives and processes your completed application, it will issue the IFTA license and decals

If you've been licensed in another IFTA jurisdiction, and your license is in a revoked or suspended status, you will not be issued an SC IFTA license until the matter has been cleared with the previous base state.

If you're a carrier in bankruptcy status, contact MCS to see if bankruptcy laws protect your IFTA license.

Having an IFTA License and Decal

IFTA License will be issued to each IFTA licensee. An IFTA license is valid for the calendar year January 1st through December 31st.

You must keep a copy of your IFTA license in the cab of the qualified vehicle. Your original IFTA license should be kept in a safe place.

Follow these steps for placing your IFTA decal on your cab:

  • Place one decal on the exterior portion of the driver's side of the power unit.
  • Place the second decal on the exterior portion of the passenger's die of the power unit.

If you have an IFTA decal under a long-term lease, you must turn in the decal once the lease ends. 

If you are licensed as a dealer, manufacturer, drive-away, or transporter, you should temporarily display the IFTA decals in a visible manner on both sides of the cab and a copy of your IFTA license must be in the vehicle while in an IFTA jurisdiction.

If you are caught without an IFTA license and decal, you may be subject to buying a trip permit and/or a ticket.

Requesting More Decals

You may request extra decals for fleet additions. If you have access to the SCDMV's Motor Carrier Services (MCS) portal, you can request more online.

Login to the MCS portal
If you do not have access to the online system, you must complete an Application for IFTA Credentials (SCDMV Form IFTA-1) and submit it to MCS via mail or any MCS SCDMV branch that can process the transaction.

Motor Carrier Services
P.O. Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0027

MCS SCDMV branch offices:

  • Blythewood
  • Chester
  • Dillon
  • Greer
  • Irmo/Ballentine
  • Kingstree
  • North Augusta
  • St. George

Renewal Procedures

You must renew your IFTA license every year. 

The renewal must be completed, signed, and returned so you can receive the new license. You may renew your IFTA account online if you are signed up as a web user to access the Motor Carrier Services online registration system. You must submit the MC-7 form (Agreement to Prepare/Maintain Records) and Vehicle Listing (VIN#, Year, Make, Model and Plate Numbers) OR the cab card for each vehicle being renewed.