Quick Links

Non-Commercial Driving Schools
Third Party Testers

Application Process for a Commercial Driving School

If you're interested in opening and operating a commercial driver training school to train drivers on operating vehicles that are at least 26,001 pounds, you must follow certain state and federal regulations to become a school. To start, you must download an application and instruction sheet as well as provide all of the following documents: 

  • List of all road training vehicles (listed on application) accompanied by current registration and if leased, a valid lease agreement (must meet the requirements under FMCSA 376.12);
  • List of managers or owner-operators of the truck driver training school or branch office accompanied by certified national criminal background check for each;
  • Proof of liability insurance;
  • Surety Bond;
  • Sample copies of all student contracts (must meet requirements under 90-113, 90-119, and 90-120);
  • Sample of all catalogs;
  • Check or money order of $200 for the school license (valid for four years)
  • List of all branch office locations and hours of operation;
  • Copies of contracts if partnering with another entity (must meet or exceed all state and or federal regulations);
  • List of courses offered by the school as defined under 90-108;
  • For renewals, a drug and alcohol summary for the previous calendar year (FMCSA 382.403)

Mail the completed documents to:

Office of Inspector General
Business License Unit
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0015

Call the Office of Inspector General at 803-896-9606 if you have any questions. 

Application to be a Commercial Driver Training Instructor

If you're interested in becoming a commercial driver training instructor, you must complete an application and provide all of the following documents, based on which type of instruction you plan to offer.

Behind-the-Wheel instructors must provide:

Classroom Only instructors must provide:

Mail the completed documents, along with a check or money order for the full amount to:

Office of Inspector General
Business License Unit
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0015

Finding Commercial Driver Training

Customers looking to obtain a commercial driver’s license may need to complete an FMCSA approved Entry-Level Driver Training (ELDT) program to be eligible to take a CDL skills test. Please click the following link for a complete list of SCDMV-licensed CDL training schools: Truck Driver Training Schools.

 Find out more about ELDT for commercial driver's licenses and permits. Any entity that is providing training must register with FMCSA's Training Provider Registry to be able to continue training potential commercial drivers.

SC Code Section 56-23-10