If your beginner's permit, driver's license, or identification card is damaged or otherwise separating, you should replace it. If your card is too damaged, it may not be accepted as identification by law enforcement, airport security, banks, or other businesses.

If your beginner's permit, driver's license, or identification card has been lost or stolen, you should report it to police. The SCDMV does not take any legal action in these cases unless there is a reason to suspect there is fraudulent use of your license, permit, or ID card.

Upon issuance of a replacement SC card, any previously issued permits, licenses, and ID cards from another jurisdiction (state or province) will be cancelled.

You can buy a replacement card below. If you've purchased a duplicate beginner's permit, driver's license, or ID card online within the past 12 months, you cannot receive another one through the online system. A replacement license or ID card costs $10, and a beginner's permit is $2.50. If you are 17 years old or older, you may renew your ID card for free if it is within one year of expiring.

If you have not yet purchased your first South Carolina REAL ID and you complete the transaction below, you will be buying a standard card that says "Not for Federal Identification".

buy a duplicate card

You may also visit an SCDMV branch for a replacement.

Find an SCDMV branch

If visiting a branch office, you will need to complete a Surrender Agreement (SCDMV Form DL-49) and one of the following applications depending on which type of card you are trying to replace:

If you need more than one replacement card within a 12-month period, additional documents, like a police report, may be required.