The process for a mobile or manufactured home is the same, and the terms are used interchangeably. A mobile/manufactured home is not a modular home.

Titling Your Mobile or Manufactured Home

When you buy a new or used mobile home in this state, you must have all of the following to apply for the title:

  • Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) or previous title (if used)
    If you bought a used mobile home, the home's previous owner must sign the title over to you. You must have the title. If the title does not have a Bill of Sale on the back, you must bring the Bill of Sale.
  • Identification proving you are who you say you are
  • Completed Application for Title/Registration of Mobile Home (SCDMV Form 400)
  • Lien information (if applicable)
  • Casual Sales/Use Tax
  • $15 titling fee

Casual Sales/Use Tax on Mobile Homes

If a mobile home is bought/sold between two people, sales tax is not required. If you bought a new mobile home from a dealer, you must have the dealer sales tax number.

If the mobile home you bought is energy efficient, there's a $300 cap to the sales tax you owe. You must provide the consumer insulation report or invoice that indicates the mobile home as energy efficient.

If the home you bought is not energy efficient, the sales tax will be calculated according to the price you paid. This does not cover taxes for a repossessing agent or if you bought a home from an out-of-state dealer.

De-titling Your Mobile or Manufactured Home

You may only de-title your mobile home through the mail. You'll mail all documents listed below to the following address:

Titles and Registration
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0024

If you're interested in de-titling your home, you must submit all of the following:

  • Stamped Manufactured Home Affidavit or the Retirement of Title Certificate
    You receive this document from your home's county register of deeds or the clerk of court.
  • Home's SC title
  • Lien release (if applicable)
    If the lien is not released on the title, an SC-licensed attorney may record a Satisfaction of Lien Affidavit in the county the home is located. If there's a lien on the home when you plan to de-title it, you must file an affidavit with the county's clerk of court.
  • Current paid property tax receipt
    If you do not owe property taxes, the SCDMV accepts a letter from the county treasurer that says you do not owe taxes.
  • $50 de-titling fee

The SCDMV will provide written confirmation that the home has been de-titled.

Home Sold After Being Declared Real Property

If the title has been retired on a mobile home and the home will be attached to real property in its new location, you do not need to get a new title. The home's buyer must file a Manufactured Home Severance Affidavit with the county's register of deed or clerk of court in the county the home is being moved to and the county it's being moved from.

If the home will not be attached to real property, the owner must get a new title from the SCDMV. If you're getting a new title, the lien must be released or the lien holder must consent to transfer the lien to the new home and you must mail all paperwork to the address below:

Titles and Registration
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0024

You must send all of the following documents:

  • Completed Application for Title/Registration of Mobile Home (SCDMV Form 400)
  • Identification proving you are who you say you are
  • Stamped, clocked copy of the Manufactured Home Severance Affidavit
  • Affidavit of Security Interest of Record
    This document is written by an SC-licensed attorney, and identifies, in order of priority, any party having a security interest on the real property.
  • $15
    Please mail a check or money order, made out to the SCDMV, to the address above. Do not mail cash.

You must file a copy of the completed Application for Title/Registration of Mobile Home (SCDMV Form 400) with the county the home was previously located in.