The simple eye test given by the SCDMV determines if you have 20/40 vision or better. If you are unable to pass the SCDMV vision screening at a branch office, you must have your eyes examined by a licensed eye care professional to determine if your eyes meet South Carolina’s vision requirements. If the licensed eye care professional determines your sight can be improved by wearing lenses or treatment, you may be able to obtain a driver’s license that allows you to drive only while wearing them.
- The only way to renew your SC license online is to have an SC-licensed eye care professional to submit the Certificate of Vision Examination results through the SCDMV's online vision portal.
- If your test results are from an out-of-state eye care professional, you must renew your license in any of the SCDMV branch offices instead of renewing online.
- A Certificate of Vision Examination is valid for 12 months from the date of the exam.
Eye Care Professionals
Vision Examination Portal
Are you an eye care professional licensed in South Carolina? If so, register to submit vision examination results to the SCDMV.
SC-licensed eye care professionals
You must submit all Certificate of Vision Examination results through the agency's online portal.
- The only way to renew an SC license online is for an SC resident to have an SC-licensed eye care professional to submit the Certificate of Vision Examination results through the SCDMV's online vision portal.
- The SCDMV does not accept paper certificates from SC-licensed eye care professionals unless the vision examination was completed in 2020.
- By 2022, the SCDMV will no longer accept any paper certificates from SC-licensed eye care professionals.
Out-of-state eye care professionals who are not licensed in SC
SCDMV branch offices will continue to accept paper certificates from licensed eye care professionals who are licensed in a state other than SC.
The SCDMV will not accept faxed or emailed results from an out-of-state eye care professional to renew an SC license online.
You will not have access to the SCDMV’s online portal.
SC Code Sections 56-1-220(A), - (B)