Salvage Pool Operators
Salvage Pool Operators
A Salvage Pool Operator is a person who engages in the business of selling salvage motor vehicles at auctions, including wholesale auctions.
Salvage Pool Operator Process
This process only applies to a Salvage Pool Operator who, on request of an insurance company, takes possession of a motor vehicle that is the subject of an insurance claim and the insurance company subsequently:
- Denies coverage with respect to the motor vehicle, or
- Does not otherwise take ownership of the motor vehicle
Within the first 31 days of the Salvage Pool Operator receiving notice from the insurance company of the denial of claim or other disposition of the vehicle, the Salvage Pool Operator must notify all owners and any lienholders that the vehicle must be removed within 30 days of the notice's mail date*.
*The Salvage Pool Operator must send the notice by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, or by a private delivery service which is acceptable to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
If the motor vehicle is not removed from a Salvage Pool Operator’s possession before the 31st day after the date the notice is mailed to all owners and any lienholders, the Salvage Pool Operator may obtain a title with the appropriate salvage branding in the Salvage Pool Operator’s name and sell the vehicle.
Obtaining a Title
If the motor vehicle is not removed from a Salvage Pool Operator’s possession before the 31st day after the date the notice is mailed to all owners and any lienholders, the Salvage Pool Operator may obtain a title with the appropriate salvage brand in the Salvage Pool Operator’s name and sell the vehicle.
To obtain a title to a vehicle, the Salvage Pool Operator must provide:
- Title Application (Form 400-S)
- Any evidence that all owners and lienholders were notified by the Salvage Pool Operator
- Agent Authorization for Title Pickup (Form MV-80) or written Power of Attorney authorizing the individual to act on the company’s behalf (only if processing in a Branch Office)
- Third Party Title Pick Up (Form MV-80A) (if the title is being printed the same day over the counter)
- Title Fees
Salvage Pool Operators must submit these documents to one of three SCDMV branch offices:
- Columbia - Shop Road
Obtaining Vehicle Information
To obtain information on a vehicle, you may complete a form below for information:
You should mail it to the appropriate address on the form. Most of these requests are $6 per individual report or record. For questions, call 803-896-5000.