To clarify the intent and requirements of the letters mailed out by the SCDMV to customers who currently have a Property Carrying License Plate, please see below:
If you are operating as a commercial entity for these vehicles, then you can retain the Property Carrying tags that you currently have and do not need to exchange the plates. Please mail your notice to the SCDMV declaring that the vehicles are for commercial use to:

S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Vehicle Services – ACT 37
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016

If you are not operating as a commercial entity for this vehicle, then you would need to exchange the plate at a local branch office.
This deadline has been extended to July 1, 2024. 
Here are answers to some Frequently Asked Questions on Property Carrying plates. Please submit any further questions to:

Quick Links

Antique Plates
Military Plates
Motorcycle Plates
License Plate Replacement
License Plate Return
Organizations Requesting a Specialty Plate
Personalized Plates
Plate Gallery

Current Regular License Plate

Introduced in late 2015, the "While I Breathe, I Hope" license plate, or the state's regular plate, has a classic design with a strong South Carolina theme. Like the state flag, the plate is white and indigo with a palmetto tree and crescent.

The regular plate now is approved for use by vehicles with a gross weight of up to 54,000 pounds.

While you may see some plates with a sticker on the left-hand side with simply a number, such as "8" to designate the eighth month of the year - August - this sticker is no longer required to have a valid registration since the month, year, and plate number is now printed on the color-coded sticker on the right-hand side of the plate.

Temporary License Plates

To get a traceable temporary license plate, you must bring in the title, bill of sale, or lease contract from the seller of the vehicle, plus a completed and signed Application to Issue or Replace 45-Day Temporary Plates (Form 45-A) to an SCDMV branch.

Find an SCDMV branch