General Information

If you drive a truck or bus in interstate or international commerce or if you make the arrangements for the transportation of cargo and goods, there is a federal law that applies to your business.

A commercial motor vehicle is a self-propelled or towed vehicle used on the highways in commerce principally to transport passengers or cargo if at least one of the following is true:

  • The vehicle has a gross vehicle weight of 10,001 pounds or more
  • The vehicle is designed to transport 11 or more passengers (including the driver)
  • The vehicle is used in transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placarding

Here is a video guide to the rules for Unified Carrier Registration. 

Fee Brackets for Motor Carriers

You may also hear Unified Carrier Registration referred to as UCR. 

Unified Carrier Registration (UCR) requires people and companies that operate commercial motor vehicles in interstate or international commerce to register your business with a participating state and pay an annual fee based on the size of your fleet.

Companies operating solely as brokers, freight forwarders, or leasing companies are also required to register.

Companies providing both motor carrier services, as well as broker, freight forwarder, and leasing services are required to pay the fee level set at the motor carrier level. 

To avoid delays, it is highly recommended that you register online at the Official UCR Registration website. If you are registering for the following year, you must pay UCR fees before December 31 to operate in other UCR participating states. UCR Registration

Frequently Asked Questions

You may find more helpful information at the Official UCR website.