If you're interested in getting a beginner's permit, study the appropriate manual and visit an SCDMV branch before 4 p.m. to take the knowledge test

It is $2.00 for a knowledge test and $2.50 for the beginner's permit after you pass the knowledge test. 

If you have no driving experience, you must hold the beginner's permit for 180 days, regardless of your age, before taking a road test.

Study the Appropriate Manual Before Testing

Before you take the beginner's permit test, prepare now! Beginner’s permits are issued depending on the type of vehicle you'll be driving.

Driver's Manual
Commercial Driver's License Manual
Motorcycle and Moped Operator's Manual
Large Non-commercial and Recreational Vehicle Driver's Manual 

Take the practice test
You must be at least 15 to apply for a regular or motorcycle beginner’s permit. If you are under 18, you must bring a person listed on the Consent for Minor (SCDMV Form 447-CM) with you to consent.

  • Regular beginner’s permit (Class D) allows you to practice driving:
    • From 6 a.m. to midnight with a licensed driver, who is at least 21 and has at least one year of experience, in the front seat of the vehicle.
    • From midnight to 6 a.m. with any licensed individual listed on the Consent for Minor (SCDMV Form 447-CM) in the front seat of the vehicle.

  • Motorcycle beginner’s permit (Class M) allows you to practice driving a motorcycle:
    • By yourself from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (or 8 p.m. during daylight savings time)
    • You may not drive a motorcycle at any other time unless supervised by someone with a motorcycle license who is 21 years of age or older and has had at least one year of driving experience. That individual must be within a safe distance and must see you when driving a motorcycle.

You must have your beginner's permit for at least 180 days.

You must be at least 18 to apply for a Class E or Class F beginner’s permit.

When you apply for a beginner’s permit, you must pass the vision and knowledge tests, provide your social security number, and bring required documents such as a government-issued birth certificate, and proof of your current, physical address (two proofs for a REAL ID). The United States Citizens' Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-93) has a complete list of accepted documents.

If you're an international customer, the requirements are different. The International Customers' Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-94) has a complete list of accepted documents.  

Renewing a Beginner's Permit

You may renew your regular beginner's permit (Class D) for $2.50 when it expires.

If you're a US Citizen interested in renewing your Class D, E, or F beginner’s permit online, you must meet all of the following requirements:

  • You have a regular (Class D, E, or F) permit.
  • You do not have a commercial learner’s permit or motorcycle permit.
  • You can pay with a valid credit or debit card.
  • You are a US Citizen. If you're not a US Citizen, you cannot renew your permit online.
  • Your permit has not expired for more than 9 months.
  • Your social security number, legal name, and date of birth must match what's on file with the Social Security Administration.
  • Your permit is not suspended or subject to be suspended.
  • You are not a convicted violent offender.
  • You did not renew your permit by mail or online the last time you renewed it.
  • You must have an SC-licensed eye care professional transmit the Certification of Vision Examination (SCDMV Form 412-NC) results electronically through SCDMV's online portal.

If you choose to renew your permit online and are eligible, you must provide identifying information to login below. At the end of the process, you will pay with a credit or debit card. The SCDMV will use your current photograph and signature and mail your new card to the address on file. It may take up to fifteen business days to receive your renewed permit in the mail.

Motorcycle beginner's permits (Class M) cannot be renewed more than three times. Before a motorcycle permit can be renewed, you must attempt the skills test. This includes all of the following:

  • Taking your motorcycle to the skills test pad.
  • Passing the pre-trip inspection. If you do not pass the pre-trip inspection, it is not considered an attempt at the skills test.
  • Making a bona fide attempt to pass the skills test.

If you fail the motorcycle skills test three times, you may not receive another motorcycle permit. You must complete an-SCDMV authorized motorcycle safety course and pass the skills test as part of that course to receive your license.

Adult Consent for Minors

If you’re under 18, and applying for a beginner's permit or driver's license, an authorized adult must sign the Consent for Minor (SCDMV Form 447-CM) at an SCDMV branch, unless it’s signed and submitted by a representative at a driver training school.

The adult must bring a picture ID.

An authorized adult is someone who is all of the following:

Find an SCDMV branch
Out-of-State Beginner's Permits

You may practice driving with your unexpired out-of-state beginner's permit in South Carolina.

If you’ve permanently moved to this state from another state, you may exchange your out-of-state beginner's permit for an SC beginner’s permit.

  • If your out-of-state beginner's permit has expired, you must take the vision and knowledge tests to get an SC beginner's permit.
  • If your out-of-state beginner's permit is valid and you’ve had it for at least 180 days, you may take the vision and skills test to apply for an SC driver's license. You can apply on the 181st day or any day after. The time you held the out-of-state beginner's permit will count toward the 180-day period.
  • If you fail the skills test on your first attempt, you must wait two days to re-test regardless of your age.