Renewing my Dealer License

To renew your dealer or wholesaler license, you must take all of the following renewal documents to an SCDMV branch:

*The National Criminal Reports are individually based and fees will vary. Reports are emailed to your submitted email address within a minimum of three to five days of purchase.

If you are requesting dealer demonstration plates with your license renewal, you must provide the following documents:

  • A list of vehicle sales to qualify for demonstration plates.
    • You must have sold at least 15 vehicles during the previous 12 months (dealer license year) to receive two demonstration plates. Each additional 15 sales will allow you to receive another plate. Your plate eligibility will be determined from the SCDMV's system which calculates the total sales to SC retail buyers. If the number of SC retail sales does not warrant any or enough sales for plates, you can submit an out-of-state retail buyers or dealer to dealer sales.
      Out of state sales or dealer to dealer buys are the only sales to be submitted at an SCDMV branch.
  • These sales can be listed on one of the following:
    • Certification of Vehicles Sold (SCDMV Form DLA-1C)
    • EVR Sales Volume Verification letter
    • Letter size paper listing a minimum of 15 numbered transactions with date of sale, complete name and address of buyer, vehicle year, make and Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Paper copy of valid commercial (garage) liability insurance. Personal liability insurance policy is not acceptable.
    Name and physical address of insured must match name and physical address of dealership.
  • $20 per plate

Find an SCDMV branch
If you purchased a new surety bond since your last application, you must submit your original bond and Power of Attorney to the address below:


Dealer License and Audit Unit
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0023


Inspections for Renewals

Some dealer applicants require facility inspection upon renewal. The following criteria determines whether or not an inspection will be required:

  • The dealer or wholesaler license has been expired for more than 90 days.
  • The business type changed from a dealer to a wholesaler or from a wholesaler to a dealer.
  • The name and/or address of the dealer or wholesaler changed.
  • The ownership or location of the dealer or wholesaler changed.