CDL Classes

There are three classes of commercial driver's licenses (CDL):

  • Class A - Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds.
  • Class B - Any single unit vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or more or any vehicle like that towing a vehicle that does not weigh more than 10,000 pounds.
  • Class C - Any single vehicle, or a combination of vehicles, that are not Class A or B vehicles, but can carry 16 or more people (including the driver), or have a hazmat placard.

If you have a Class A, B or C CDL, you may drive a three-wheel vehicle, but not a two-wheel motorcycle with a side car.

Your CDL will expire every eight years unless you have a hazardous material (Hazmat) endorsement. A CDL with a Hazmat endorsement expires five years from the pass date of your Security Threat Assessment.

CDL Endorsements

The following endorsements may be added to your CDL:

  • H - Hazardous Material (Hazmat)
  • N - Tanker Vehicle
  • P - Passenger Vehicle (Designed to carry 16 or more people, including the driver)
  • S - School Bus (You must have a P endorsement to have an S endorsement)
  • T - Double/Triple Trailers
  • X - Combination Hazmat and Tanker

You must complete the following tests for each endorsement above:

  • H - Knowledge test and TSA threat assessment
  • N - Knowledge test
  • P - Knowledge and skills test
  • S - Knowledge and skills test*
  • T - Knowledge test
  • X - Knowledge test and TSA threat assessment

*If you're interested in receiving the S endorsement, you must take the skills/road test in a vehicle that meets the following definition: "School Bus means a commercial vehicle used to carry pre-primary, primary, or secondary school students from home to school, from school to home, or to and from school-sponsored events. A school bus does not include a bus used as a common carrier.

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) 49 CFR, 172, F