Renew My Registration
To complete your renewal:
- Your property taxes must have been paid to the appropriate county.
- The county must have notified the SCDMV of your payment.
- You must provide your insurance company name unless you have self-insured or uninsured motorist status.
- You must have a valid VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express (AMEX) card that will be charged the amount due.
Please make sure that the address shown on your registration certificate or renewal document is correct. If it is not correct, update your address.
While most renewals are processed without problems, two types of errors occasionally occur:
- The registration renewal fee was not paid when the taxes were paid.
- The renewal is late and requires an additional fee.
If you received a notice that your renewal was not processed for a reason above, you may complete your renewal online.
You may hear a sticker referred to as a decal or a registration decal.
In this state, you must pay your personal vehicle property taxes before a license plate can be renewed and a new decal issued. You can pay both the vehicle property taxes and renewal fees at the county treasurer's office. After you pay your taxes, the plate or registration decal is mailed to the customer from the SCDMV the next working day.
You may be issued a license plate or registration decal that shows a different expiration date than shown on your vehicle registration. This is necessary because personal vehicle property taxes must be paid on a yearly basis while registration fees are collected on a two-year basis.
If you have an adjusted tax bill, owe a penalty, or must have your registration corrected to reflect a senior citizen discount, please visit an SCDMV branch.
Can I pay my taxes online?
Many counties allow payment of taxes and registration fees online. If you live in one of the other counties, you currently must pay at the county treasurer's office.
Check for your county's online services at the SC.Gov website:
I paid my taxes, but I didn’t get my sticker.
If you do not receive your license plate or decal within ten business days, you may get one at an SCDMV branch. The SCDMV only accepts original paid property tax receipts.