Are you here for a REAL ID?  Upcoming SCDMV REAL-ID Mobile Events:

 10/25- Tuesday  Williamsburg/Georgetown  Chavis One Stop Complex Auditorium - 2811 South State Hwy 41  #51 - Hemmingway 
 10/27  - Thursday  Clarendon  Clarendon County Administration Building Break Room 411 Sunset Dr. - Manning
 11/01 - Tuesday
 Richland  SC State Museum 301 Gervais St -  Columbia
 11/02Wednesday  Lexington Lexington Main Library 5440 Augusta Rd. - Lexington

If you have a valid US Passport/Passport Card with your current legal name that matches the information on file with the Social Security Administration and is also the name listed on your two proofs of physical South Carolina address, you have what is needed to purchase a REAL ID. 

You have options on how to obtain a REAL ID driver's license or identification card. Changing your driver's license (Class D)motorcycle license (Class M), or non-commercial license (Class E and F), or commercial Driver's License (CDL) to a REAL ID works the same as if you were renewing your license

To purchase a REAL ID, you must have the correct documentation with you if the documents are not already on file with the SCDMV. You must have original or government-issued copies of all documents. The SCDMV will not accept copied or scanned versions. You can find a complete list of accepted documents on the United States Citizens’ Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-93).

Here are examples of acceptable documents as well as what is needed if you have had a legal name change.  

  • Proof of identity
    • Examples:  Government-issued birth certificate or unexpired US Passport
  • Two proofs of current, physical SC address
    • Examples:  Current, unexpired South Carolina driver's license or identification card and a no more than 90-day-old utility bill with the same name and address
      View a complete list of all accepted address documents on the United States Citizens’ Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-93).
  • Proof of legal name
    • Examples:  Marriage license, divorce decree, or court order issued by your county's probate or family court
      You must show a complete name change history that links your birth certificate name to your present day name. If you have a valid US Passport or US Passport Card with your current, legal name, you may use that as your name change document. More information on how to change your name.

If you are moving to South Carolina from out-of-state and do not have your current license, you must provide a driving record from that state as proof of driving. 

If you are a Veteran who has honorably served in the country's armed services, you may bring your Discharge Certificate (DOD Form DD-214) that shows you were honorably discharged to add the "Veteran" designation to your driver's license or identification card. 

Document check for REAL ID

Commercial Driver's License Holders

 In addition to the documents above, bring your current CDL to turn in, and your Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) medical qualification certificate, if applicable. You must also acknowledge the FMCSA regulations, complete the CDL Holder’s Medical Certification (SCDMV Form DL-405A), pass a vision test, pay the $15 application fee, and pay $25 for the new REAL ID CDL. The REAL ID CDL is valid for eight years unless you have a hazmat endorsement, which is valid for no more than five years and costs $15. 

ID Holders

If you have an identification card (ID), you may visit an SCDMV branch to change your card to a REAL ID identification card as long as you have all required documents listed above.

If you’re 5 to 16 years old, your ID is $15. If you’re 17 or older, your ID is free. If you have an ID you do not have driving privileges and cannot drive a vehicle.

International Customers

The requirements for international customers to buy a REAL ID are different than what's above.

In addition to all of the required documents above, you must provide proof of your authorized length of stay within the US. If you’re interested in the documentation requirements for international customers, see the International Customers’ Checklist (SCDMV Form MV-94).

International customers must visit an SCDMV branch that completes international customer transactions. If you’re eligible for a license or ID, you will receive a card that is valid for the same length of time as your authorized length of stay in the US, but it will not be valid for more than five years. 

It is optional to change to a REAL ID

If you do not think you have a need to fly, enter a federal building, or visit a military installation* you do not need a REAL ID.  However, if you suddenly need to fly on or after May 3, 2023 and you do not have a valid US Passport, military ID, or another federally approved identification, you will need a REAL ID in order to board a domestic, commercial flight. Regardless of whether you buy a REAL ID or not, you must still have an unexpired US Passport to travel internationally.

You do not need a REAL ID driver's license or identification card to do any of the following:

  • Drive
  • Vote
  • Apply for or receive federal benefits for which you’re entitled (Veterans Affairs, Social Security Administration, etc.)
  • Enter a federal facility that does not require an ID (i.e. a post office)
  • Access a hospital or receive life-saving services
  • Participate in law enforcement proceedings or investigations (serve on a federal jury, testify in federal court, etc.)

If you have a valid US Passport, military ID, or another federal identification that's accepted to pass airport security, you may use it instead of changing your SC license or ID to a REAL ID.