Purchased a New License Plate

If you purchase a new license plate for your vehicle, your old plate immediately becomes invalid once your new plate arrives.  You can now surrender your license plate online.  You do not need to physically turn in your old license plate when using this option, but you are encouraged to recycle the license plate once you complete the online turn in.

License Plate Turn In

You also have the option to complete the License Plate Turn In (SCDMV Form 452) and mail the form plus your old plate to the address below:

Plate Turn-In
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0024

You may also return your plate to any SCDMV branch.

Find an SCDMV branch
Sold My Vehicle

If you're turning in your license plate because you sold your vehicle, you must do all of the following:

Moving to a New State

If you're moving to a new state, you must first update your vehicle insurance company and then return your license plate once you register your vehicle in your new state.

You may return your plate to the address above or in person to any SCDMV branch.