Class E and F Driver’s Licenses

Class E license is required to drive non-commercial single unit vehicles with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) more than 26,000 pounds. Examples of Class E vehicles include trucks and motor homes (recreational vehicles/RVs). When you practice driving, you must be accompanied by an experienced licensed driver.

Class F license is required to drive non-commercial combination vehicles with a GVW more than 26,000 pounds. Class F vehicles are the same as Class E vehicles plus a towed trailer or vehicle. When you practice driving, you must be accompanied by an experienced licensed driver.

Apply for a Class E or F Driver's License

To apply you must have prior driving experience, or have held a beginner's permit for the license you're interested in earning for at least 180 days. You must also do all of the following:

Schedule a road test
Find an SCDMV branch 

Class E and F Frequently Asked Question

What can I tow with a Class F license?
You may tow an automobile, trailer, camper, or a travel trailer.

What are the requirements for a Class E or F license?
You must pass the knowledge, off-road maneuvers (basic skills), and road tests.

How can I study for the Class E or F license tests?
You should study the South Carolina Driver’s Manual and the SC Large Non-commercial and Recreational Vehicles.

Will I need to drive my truck or motor home to take the basic road tests for a Class E or F license?
Yes, you must take the test in your truck or motor home at one of the designated SCDMV branches that offer non-commercial Class E or F skills test. If you are applying for a Class F driver’s license, you must bring the unit you plan to tow behind the truck or motor home.

If I apply for a Class F license, will I need to take both the basic skills (off-road maneuvers) and road tests with the towed unit attached to my truck or motor home?
Yes, if you are driving a truck. The towed unit must be attached for the basic skills and road tests.

No, if you are operating a motor home. You will not have to tow the unit during the basic skills portion. Motor home tow bars are rigid and do not allow the towed unit to move freely. However, you must have the towed unit attached for the road test.

Will there be anyone at the SCDMV to help me attach/detach my towed unit to the vehicle?
No. You will need to bring someone to help you. 

If I change my mind and do not use my motor home for recreational purposes but instead use it as part of my business, are the licensing requirements the same?
No. If the weight of the vehicle(s) is more than 26,000 pounds, you must have a CDL to operate an RV for business.

Am I required to have a USDOT Medical Certificate with a Class E or F license?

If I am a firefighter with a Class E or F license, will I still need a USDOT medical certificate?                                                                                  
Federal and state laws do not require a firefighter to have a commercial class A, B, or C license to drive firefighting vehicles. A Class E and F license does not require a medical certificate. You should check with your specific fire department on its requirements.

Motor Home Owners
You may refer to a motor home as a recreational vehicle or as an RV.

If you plan to operate a motor home or recreational vehicle (RV) with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of more than 26,000 pounds, you must get a Class E driver's license.

If you plan to drive any combination of vehicles exclusively used for recreation, like an RV, and tow a trailer or other vehicle with a gross combination weight of more than 26,000 pounds, you must have a Class F license.

You may take the Class E and F knowledge tests at any SCDMV branch. However, due to the space required for a Class E or F skills test, you must take it at a designated branch that offers this type of test.

Schedule a road test