All requests for information through the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) must be submitted to the SCDMV Strategic Communications and Community Affairs Office. Most requests for SCDMV records, such as driving records, title histories and accident reports, do not need to be processed as a FOIA and can be submitted on the appropriate form. Members of the media, however, should submit a FOIA. (See For Members of the Media for more information.)
If you have questions regarding driver or vehicle services, please call the SCDMV Contact Center at (803) 896-5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
SCDMV does not:
- Store audio, video or photographic materials related to accidents such as 911 calls or dash cam videos. Please contact the SC Department of Public Safety.
- Track the accident history of specific road locations. Please contact the SC Department of Public Safety.
- Document road or bridge conditions. Please contact the SC Department of Transportation.
All FOIA requests must be made in writing with a signature. Requests may be submitted in person, by mail, by fax, or by PDF attachment in an email.
SCDMV Communications Office
Post Office Box 1498
Blythewood, South Carolina 29016-0009
Telephone: (803) 896-8198
Fax: (803) 896-5618
When submitting a FOIA request, please include the following:
- A statement indicating that you are making the request under the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act. (Note that the federal Freedom of Information Act only applies to federal agencies and does not apply to requests for state documents.)
- A clear description of the type of data you are requesting.
- The name and telephone number of a contact person.
Information protected under the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994 or other confidential information that is exempt under the law will not be released. As allowed by Code Section 30-4-30(b), SCDMV will collect fees for employee search time and reproduction costs.
Back to Top