Freedom of Information Act

Submitting a Freedom of Information Act Request

All requests for information through the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) must be submitted to the SCDMV Strategic Communications and Community Affairs Office. Most requests for SCDMV records, such as driving records, title histories and accident reports, do not need to be processed as a FOIA and can be submitted on the appropriate form. Members of the media, however, should submit a FOIA. (See For Members of the Media for more information.)

All FOIA requests must be made in writing and may be submitted in person, by mail or by fax. SCDMV does not accept FOIA requests by email:

SCDMV Communications Office
Post Office Box 1498
Blythewood, South Carolina 29016-0009
Telephone: (803) 896-8198
Fax: (803) 896-5618

Please Note: If you have questions regarding driver or vehicle services, please call the SCDMV Contact Center at (803) 896-5000 or email

When submitting a FOIA request, please include the following:

  • A statement indicating that you are making the request under the South Carolina Freedom of Information Act. (Note that the federal Freedom of Information Act only applies to federal agencies and does not apply to requests for state documents.)
  • A clear description of the type of data you are requesting.
  • The name and telephone number of a contact person.

Information protected under the Driver’s Privacy Protection Act of 1994 or other confidential information that is exempt under the law will not be released. As allowed by Code Section 30-4-30(b), SCDMV will collect fees for employee search time and reproduction costs.

Back to Top

Requests for SCDMV Records

Please be aware that most driver and vehicle records can be obtained at local SCDMV offices or by mail. The SCDMV Communications Office cannot process these transactions. If you are requesting a driver record, vehicle information, an accident report or dealer information, please complete the appropriate form and mail it to the office indicated on the form with the required fees.

Form MV-70 , Request for Driver Information, is used to request:

  • A copy of a Driving Record (MVR)
  • A copy of a Ticket or Suspension Notice
  • Other Driver Related Documents

Form 5027-A, Request for Vehicle Information, is used to request:

  • Liability Insurance Information
  • Placard Information
  • Title History Basic Information (including odometer information)
  • Vehicle list by Customer
  • Name of Address of Registered Owner License Plate History
  • Title History - Complete with Supporting Documents
  • Vehicle Title Information (current owner and lienholder information)

Form FR-50, Request for Copy of Officer's Report is used to request:

  • A copy of an Accident Report

Form DLA-11, Request for Dealer License Information is used to request:

  • Dealer Application
  • Bond Information and Other Dealer Licensing Information

Back to Top