Before receiving a six-month driver’s license, you must sign a payment plan program agreement at a SCDMV office, take any necessary tests (vision, knowledge, skill), and pay the required test fees. You are only eligible to obtain a six-month license with that is the same class of license that you held prior to the suspensions. SCDMV cannot issue a six-month commercial driver’s license under this program. Customers with a commercial driver’s license (CDL) cannot participate in the program unless they agree to revert to a Class D driver’s license. Once they complete the payment plan program, they may obtain a CDL after passing all of the required knowledge and skills tests.
Once a six-month license is issued, all of your qualifying suspensions will be cleared to give you time to make periodic reinstatement and per diem fee payments. If all the suspensions on the payment plan are paid in full and the driving record is cleared while your six-month license is valid, you may obtain a regular driver’s license. The rules for operating with a six-month driver’s license are as follows:
1. A six-month driver’s license allows full driving privileges.
2. You can obtain a duplicate license with the same expiration as the original.
3. You cannot renew the six-month driver’s license.
4. Your six-month license is subject to suspension for the same reasons as any other license.
5. If your six-month license is suspended, it can not be reinstated.
6. If your driving privileges are suspended for a different violation while enrolled in the payment program, the six-month license will be suspended, the payment plan ends, and all remaining suspensions will be reactivated.
7. SCDMV cannot refund money paid into the program.
8. If your six-month driver’s license expires, you will not be allowed to drive until your regular license is issued, even if all fees have been paid.
9. If you are subject to an ignition interlock requirement, the appropriate restriction will be placed on the six-month license.
10. You may obtain a regular driver’s license once you complete the payment program within the six-month period.
11. While you have your six-month license, you cannot take a test for any new class of license until you complete the payment plan.