Road Use Fee

Effective January 1, 2019, owners of commercial motor vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 26,001 pounds or more will pay a road use fee, formerly known as property taxes, to the SCDMV instead of South Carolina Department of Revenue.

Motor Carrier Services Portal

Login to Motor Carrier Services
Quick Links

Certificate of Compliance
International Fuel Tax Agreement
International Registration Plan
IRP and IFTA Tutorials
Register Online for IRP and IFTA Transactions
Unified Carrier Registration

New Account

Beginning January 1, 2019, you must make contact with the Motor Carrier Services (MCS) office at SCDMV Headquarters in Blythewood for information regarding the process to obtain a new International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) or International Registration Plan (IRP) account. This is the only SCDMV office you can contact to open a new IFTA/IRP account.  Call 803-896-3870 for further information.

Any motor carrier with base jurisdiction in South Carolina and operating one or more qualified motor vehicles in at least one other IFTA/IRP member jurisdiction must apply for an SC IFTA/IRP credential or trip permits must be obtained to travel through member jurisdictions.

Contact Motor Carrier Services at 803-896-3870 for further information on the process and requirements of obtaining an IRP/IFTA account.

To open a new IFTA account, complete all of the following:

To open a new IRP account, complete all of the following:

Finally, read the MCS Manual for further information on all MCS programs.. Once you complete all forms above, click on this link, email them to the SCDMV. All forms and documents must be submitted from the email address of the individual/business that is opening the new IRP/IFTA account.

Branches for Motor Carrier Services

You may open new International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) and International Registration Plan (IRP) accounts only at Motor Carrier Services (MCS) in Blythewood. There are seven SCDMV branches across the state that complete all other MCS transactions. Those branches are listed below:

  • Blythewood
  • Chester
  • Dillon
  • Greer
  • Irmo/Ballentine
  • Kingstree
  • North Augusta
  • St. George

Find an SCDMV branch

Motor Carrier Services Manual

The Motor Carrier Services (MCS) Manual may be used for additional information regarding MCS.