ELT Lender Requirements
You may hear Electronic Lien and Title referred to as ELT.
Becoming an ELT Lender
South Carolina Electronic Lien and Title (ELT) allows authorized lenders to electronically record and service liens on vehicles, trailers, or mobile homes. This service eliminates mailing, storing, and manually handling paper titles.
If you're a lender, you have two options for participating in ELT:
- Proprietary – You may develop a proprietary ELT system to interface with the SCDMV.
- Service Provider – The ELT system may be supplied to you through an approved service provider (third party) that works with the SCDMV to provide you with a computer based system to electronically record liens.
The following electronic functions are offered:
- Lien Notification
- Lien Release
- Lien Release Due to Error
- Print Title
- Address Change Notification by Lienholder
- Application Process for ELT Participation
If you’re a lender interested in participating in this program, you must do all of the following:
- Contact an approved service provider for Electronic Lien and Title (ELT)
- Complete the Application for Electronic Lien and Title Lienholder (SCDMV Form ELT-1)
- Complete the ELT Program Lender/Business Partner Contract
Mail all documents to address below:
Vehicle Compliance Unit
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0023
If you wish to internally develop the system to communicate directly with the SCDMV, the system must meet the same technical requirements as service providers and achieve system certification.
By completing the application, you, as the lender and/or service provider demonstrate an understanding, commitment, and agreement to all of the following:
- Entering into an agreement with an SCDMV approved service provider or achieve system certification for its own ELT computer system
- Training as required by the SCDMV and/or the agency’s service provider
- Bearing all costs for participation in the program such as costs incurred for computer hardware, labor, electronic interface system changes, and transaction processing
- Complying with all rules, policies, procedures, and standards applicable to the ELT program
Learn more about the ELT Program Standards.