Freedom of Information Act
Members of the Media
The release of customer information is governed by federal and state laws. These include the federal Driver Privacy Protection Act, the South Carolina Family Privacy Protection Act of 2002, and the SC Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
The SCDMV does not:
- Store audio, video, or photographs related to accidents, such as 911 calls or dash cam videos, or track the accident history of specific road locations. You should contact the SC Department of Public Safety.
- Document road or bridge conditions or monitor road signs. You should contact the SC Department of Transportation.
If you're a member of the media, you must submit all requests for information in writing as a FOIA request. You may email your request or mail it to the address below. Include your name, contact information, and media organization in the request.
PO Box 1498
Blythewood, SC 29016-0009
You may contact the SCDMV's Strategic Communications & Community Affairs office at 803-896-8198 or via email.
|Type of Request||Cost|
|Records (driver, vehicle, dealer)||
$6 per type and number of document
|Documents*||$0.25 per page|
|Report requiring programming||$110/hour with a one-hour minimum|
*If the information you requested is less than $5, there is no charge.
If you're an attorney, a representative of an attorney's office, insurance company, or business looking to verify information, you may complete a form below for information:
- Request for Driver Information (SCDMV Form MV-70)
- Request for Vehicle Information (SCDMV Form 5027-A)
- Request for Officer's Report (SCDMV Form FR-50)
- Request for Dealer License Information (SCDMV Form DLA-11)
You should mail it to the appropriate address on the form. Most of these requests are $6 per individual report or record. For questions, call 803-896-5000.